AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

"bouncing" IP addresses... why don't we use them too?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NevaehStar

I haven't posted recently, hopefully will be back soon!
Inactive Cam Model
Oct 27, 2010
ok, so through the threads alot of us have issues with members having bouncing IP addresses. Where it changes all the time, so then they can get around bans & area blockers etc...

So, by what I have read, these members have downloaded some type of software or something...?

So, my question/statement is:

Why don't we(Models) use this software too then?? Then we are protected just like they are. Fight fire with fire.. lol

I don't know much about IP's & all. So any help is appreciated. I don't know if MFC would support that though... I do believe they capture our IP's for a reason... hmmm not sure..

any IT peeps chime in-
but, I just found this info from ATT:

What is a Static IP?
Simply put, a Static IP Address is an IP Address that is associated with your account that never changes and can be assigned to a specific device. Every time that you connect to the AT&T Network the Static IP address will route traffic to the computer or other device that can be assigned an IP (such as a Router or Firewall). This allows you to host a variety of applications on their computer that can be accessed remotely.

Why would I use a Static IP?
While general Internet use does not require a Static IP, a Static IP may be used for a variety of reasons. Several types of services require an IP that doesn't change. Most commonly users will want their own Static IP for: Hosting a Website or Mail Server, Webcams, VOIP ,Video Conferencing and Gaming.

^^^^This could be why it's not a good idea for us? A bouncing IP would cause havoc with some stuff..?

Most people do not have static IP's they usually cost more money. Now that being said, if I were to disconnect my router from my modem, then reconnect, I most likely would get the same IP back. The way it usually works is the ISP will give you an IP, if you were to disconnect and "loose" your IP when you tried to get a new one, the ISP would give you one that is available. That would in most cases be the one you just lost.

It would not matter if you had a static IP or not while camming.

What benefit are you hoping to achieve? I'm having trouble figuring out exactly why you want to do this.

Changing their IP protects them in that an IP ban can't keep them out. If you did it, there would be no substantial benefit.

As far as I know, MFC doesn't expose the IP addresses of models. So the only way a model would leak her IP anyways was if she clicked on an external link controlled by a member. Even if her IP got leaked, changing it isn't going to really accomplish anything, since it's rather difficult to "trace an IP" if you're not in law enforcement. The best regular people can do is perhaps localize a model's IP to an ISP and a town/area.

Yep. Models have been warned many times not to go to any sites members give them; it's easy to find out what town you live in with just you loading their site.

There's no reason to guard your IP though; just don't be stupid with what you click.

bawksy said:
As far as I know, MFC doesn't expose the IP addresses of models. So the only way a model would leak her IP anyways was if she clicked on an external link controlled by a member. Even if her IP got leaked, changing it isn't going to really accomplish anything, since it's rather difficult to "trace an IP" if you're not in law enforcement. The best regular people can do is perhaps localize a model's IP to an ISP and a town/area.

I hate to agree with bawksy most of the time, but this. There's no real reason a model has to protect her IP address. Unless of course she's brain dead and clicks on every link a member gives her. :shifty:

On MFC and in all other camsites, the model IP is not shown anywhere. But a warning to those models doing shows on MSN, it is possible to get the IP. And on Yahoo is some cases the IP can get caught. And I'm not talking about using hacker tools. I don't know about Skype, never used it.

But like was already said... what a normal person can do with a IP number is not nothing more than finding your town. And in many cases the info is not so accurate.

MyCamgirl said:
On MFC and in all other camsites, the model IP is not shown anywhere. But a warning to those models doing shows on MSN, it is possible to get the IP. And on Yahoo is some cases the IP can get caught. And I'm not talking about using hacker tools. I don't know about Skype, never used it.

But like was already said... what a normal person can do with a IP number is not nothing more than finding your town. And in many cases the info is not so accurate.

Not so accurate. My IP always gives nearby towns, I don't think any IP trace has been to my actual town. Of course living just outside of 3 county seats for 3 separate counties, you tend to get over looked as a city.

is there any chance of the 6 hexidecimal IP address happening soon? i think we will have a second separate secure internet when that happens.

RufffRider said:
is there any chance of the 6 hexidecimal IP address happening soon? i think we will have a second separate secure internet when that happens.

Not likely, IPv6 just makes more IP addresses. It will run on the current wonderful connections we have now, hopefully...

Also when it does come out, we could easily have static IP's there should be plenty for each person on the planet to have several :p

Frankie said:
pantsx3 said:
amber knows our ips though :think:

Amber is like a super hero, she uses her knowledge & power for good instead of evil. Mostly. :-D

This is true.... mostly. :whistle:

basically- why i asked this was pretty much curiousity.

But also, pre-MFC, I had 2 stalkers... very good with IT/computers etc... I realized then, that no one is really safe from the internet. Expect anything & everything is possible.

I personally, do try to keep my home-state & nearby towns private. But I also know that anyone could find it out with a little bit of smarts.
And-- so far on MFC I've had 2 almost track me down to my street-- now that was a little unsettling. Most members (especially many tipping regulars) wouldn't bother to scare a model like that.
I also let those 2 know that I feel sorry for them if they attempt to do anything they shouldn't lol I have a 410 & a 20gauge next to my bed that are -mine- (u can see it when i do bedroom shows-lol) My guy has his 12gauge between the mattresses. And there's more hidden around the 2 places we live at. lol so they or anyone else better-> :think:
(also anyone who has gotten to know me- knows i'm a farm girl. i'm not weak. bulls chase me up tree's & i've wrestled pigs etc...) I know anything can happen no matter your strength or wits, but i have lots of protection & know how to use it :)

ok-- i think i'm straying...

so- the IP thing.. i was asking pretty much to see if it would be at all beneficial
And this thread was a good idea because i did learn quite a bit! Thank you all!!!
Also i had forgotten about when u go to another site & it captures ur IP... so.. yeah I will remember NOT to go to some personal pages thru members etc...thank you for reminding me about that!!

NevaehStar said:
Also i had forgotten about when u go to another site & it captures ur IP... so.. yeah I will remember NOT to go to some personal pages thru members etc...thank you for reminding me about that!!

It's something easily forgotten. Just gotta trust the person who owns/runs/moderates the sites you sign up on. For example, anyone who has signed up with our friend MyCamGirl and made comments on the other models' reviews there... he's able to view your IP. Is he going to abuse it? Seriously doubt that... but did you consider that before you made an account there to comment? Probably not.

MyCamgirl said:

if i search my own ip it ends up 300 km from here.. so i dont worry..
but curious about the ip stuff on msn...? how does that work?

AmberCutie said:
NevaehStar said:

It's something easily forgotten. Just gotta trust the person who owns/runs/moderates the sites you sign up on. For example, anyone who has signed up with our friend MyCamGirl and made comments on the other models' reviews there... he's able to view your IP. Is he going to abuse it? Seriously doubt that... but did you consider that before you made an account there to comment? Probably not.
some members get wrapped up in fantasy and when the model makes it into a game they start trying to figure out exactly where the model is, i say this specifically this way so you are also thoughtful about how you talk about where you are. Always be specific about where you draw the line, i live in this area/state/city that is all i give out "for my protection". NOT.. you will never find me, i don't tell anyone about that etc. As a model your personal protection should always be taken seriously.

Only thing I have to add to this is NEVER tell a member that they will never find you. Too most nerds that just means challenge accepted. I've done it to some of my best cam girl friends just to prove how easily it can be done.

TashaMaddison said:
if i search my own ip it ends up 300 km from here.. so i dont worry..
but curious about the ip stuff on msn...? how does that work?
Funny, with my IP happens the same. It says I'm in a city 330km from here. Only few times that says I'm in a small city 20km from here.

About MSN... I just open my firewall and it says - sorted by application - the open connections (IP, port, bytes sent/recv...). On MSN the video/audio connection is made client-to-client (at least it was like that the last time I used it). On Yahoo the connection is sent to the server and then to the client, so you get the Yahoo IP. But for unknown reasons, sometimes it is client-to-client.

jebbaz said:
Only thing I have to add to this is NEVER tell a member that they will never find you. Too most nerds that just means challenge accepted. I've done it to some of my best cam girl friends just to prove how easily it can be done.
Agree. When I know for sure that a girl works on other site/s and she keeps saying "i only work here bb" or says "you won't find the other site", it is the reason to stop what I'm doing and search for her on all sites I know. It is not like trying to find where she lives, but it is a challenge somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.