AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

ACF 2012 Presidential Election Poll

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.

2012 U.S. Presidential Poll Vote

• Obama

Votes: 109 66.5%
  • Romney

Votes: 27 16.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • Obligatory Other

Votes: 22 13.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Your making an equivalence with beastiality? Your slip is showing.

Note how the dictionary (American Heritage) is already making progress. Note definition 1-d and the word USUALLY. And AH hasn't republished in a few years. I'm going to forecast that 1-d may be 1-a by the time it's next updated. :)

mar·riage (m#rZ2j)
n.
a. The legal union of a man and woman as husband and wife.
b. The state of being married; wedlock.
c. A common-law marriage.
d. A union between two persons having the customary but usually not the legal force of marriage: a same-sex marriage.
2. A wedding.
3. A close union: "the most successful marriage of beauty and blood in mainstream comics" Lloyd Rose.
4. Games The combination of the king and queen of the same suit, as in pinochle.

Honestly, it doesn't matter to me what it's called. I believe a marriage is between a man and a woman. They can can change the dictionary all they want, I was just trying to help with a possible alternative solution that may not cause so much opposition.

Bocefish said:
Oh, so now you want to rely on dictionaries when it suits your purpose? :lol:
Not at all--but it's you who are trying to enforce a definition. Dictionaries only report, they do not prescribe.

Oh! and I see Merriam-Webster (lineage from Noah Webster's original Dictionary of the American Language) is progressing even faster! It's already 1-a!

Main Entry:
maryriage 
Pronunciation:
‚mer-ij, ‚ma-rij
Function:
noun
Etymology:
Middle English mariage, from Anglo-French, from marier to marry
Date:
14th century

1 a (1) : the state of being united to a person of the opposite sex as husband or wife in a consensual and contractual relationship recognized by law (2) : the state of being united to a person of the same sex in a relationship like that of a traditional marriage <same-sex marriage> b : the mutual relation of married persons : WEDLOCK c : the institution whereby individuals are joined in a marriage
2 : an act of marrying or the rite by which the married status is effected; especially : the wedding ceremony and attendant festivities or formalities
3 : an intimate or close union <the marriage of painting and poetry — J. T. Shawcross>

Bocefish said:
Ursavannah said:
If you take the time to check the facts, Obama has done a lot including creating jobs with the green initiative. He said his goals were not going to be completed quickly. Quick fix=long term disaster.

We do not need to regress! I do think people have developed amnesia about the Bush period ...do we need another disaster like that?

He did such a wonderful job wasting $528 BILLION on Solyndra! :clap: http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/solyndra- ... EI9-0UoMXY

HopeBlameBanner1.jpg

Wanna talk spending?

Attachments

• aaSpending.jpeg
    aaSpending.jpeg
    87.1 KB · Views: 85
Reactions: Nordling
Pretty soon... marriage won't mean anything. As if it doesn't mean diddly squat already. I am all for the rights of committed couples entering a legal contract together regardless of sex, but you won't convince me that a marriage should be anything other than a husband and wife. :p

Ursavannah said:
Bocefish said:
Ursavannah said:
If you take the time to check the facts, Obama has done a lot including creating jobs with the green initiative. He said his goals were not going to be completed quickly. Quick fix=long term disaster.

We do not need to regress! I do think people have developed amnesia about the Bush period ...do we need another disaster like that?

He did such a wonderful job wasting $528 BILLION on Solyndra! :clap: http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/solyndra- ... EI9-0UoMXY

HopeBlameBanner1.jpg

Wanna talk spending?

The national debt rose all by itself :lol:

Bocefish said:
Pretty soon... marriage won't mean anything. As if it doesn't mean diddly squat already. I am all for the rights of committed couples entering a legal contract together regardless of sex, but you won't convince me that a marriage should be anything other than a husband and wife. :p
But why do you say "should?" Should based on what? On an outmoded definition of a word?

It doesn't matter what YOU believe, and that's what you are not getting. I personally hate marriage, dread going to weddings, and will never marry myself. But that doesn't matter, that's my own personal opinion, and should in no way have anything to do with the law. Law is not supposed to be about personal beliefs. It's supposed to be about protecting others from harming each other. Who's the victim in two men getting married? YOU?

Honestly, I think people that spend so much time worrying about the sanctity of marriage probably need to get a hobby or two.

VeronicaChaos said:
It doesn't matter what YOU believe, and that's what you are not getting.

Here's a hint, when I say it's my opinion or end a thread with :twocents-02cents: or even when I don't do those, I realize I'm just another asshole on this planet with an opinion. There is no reason whatsoever you should value my opinion any more than the next persons.

Bocefish said:
Ursavannah said:
Bocefish said:
Ursavannah said:

HopeBlameBanner1.jpg

Wanna talk spending?

The national debt rose all by itself :lol:

I get the feeling you do not have reliable sources. Just out of curiosity, have you been to college? Not trying to be a smartass, but most people do not know how to look for credible sources, and the media for sure is not one. Neither are popular magazines, or talk shows.

Reactions: Nordling
Solyndra is a popular right-wing red herring, even though government support began under Bush.

Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney visited the empty Solyndra factory in mid-2012 as his campaign shifted from the primaries toward the convention and the general election. He criticized the bankruptcy and President Obama's previous support.[31] Soon after Romney's visit to Solyndra another solar energy company, Konarka, declared bankruptcy. Like Solyndra, Konarka had received federal financial support. But Konarka also had received 2002 financial support from then-Massachusetts Governor Romney's administration. As such Konarka became something of a counterpoint to Solyndra in the political exchange with the Democratic president.[32][33]

Bocefish said:
Nordling said:
Bocefish said:
Now I'm curious what you all thought my opinion was?
I thought you stated it clearly when you said, "I believe..."

I believe what?
You don't remember?

You said you believe marriage is between a man and a woman. What else are you looking for?

And I do. I also believe committed same sex couples should have the same rights as married couples.

I get the feeling you do not have reliable sources. Just out of curiosity, have you been to college? Not trying to be a smartass, but most people do not know how to look for credible sources, and the media for sure is not one. Neither are popular magazines, or talk shows.

Not trying to be a smart ass?

What are your sources that are so credible beyond reproach?

Do I need collegiate sources for my opinion?

Bocefish said:
And I do. I also believe committed same sex couples should have the same rights as married couples.

Not trying to be a smart ass?

What are your sources that are so credible beyond reproach?

Do I need collegiate sources for my opinion?

Separate is not equal. I know you stated the same rights, but if you call it something different it will never be considered equal.

Bocefish said:
Honestly, it doesn't matter to me what it's called. I believe a marriage is between a man and a woman. They can can change the dictionary all they want, I was just trying to help with a possible alternative solution that may not cause so much opposition.
If it doesn't matter what it's called why can marriage only be between a man and woman, in your opinion

morment said:
Bocefish said:
If it doesn't matter what it's called why can marriage only be between a man and woman, in your opinion

That's just my opinion. I know several couples that consider themselves married and don't need any document to prove it, nor do they want one.

I was just offering some advice that may help in the fight to get the same rights as married couples. Take it or leave it. :twocents-02cents:

Bocefish said:
That's just my opinion. I know several couples that consider themselves married and don't need any document to prove it, nor do they want one.

I was just offering some advice that may help in the fight to get the same rights as married couples. Take it or leave it. :twocents-02cents:
I'm actually wondering why you feel that marriage has to be confined to being between a man and woman.

morment said:
Bocefish said:

I'm actually wondering why you feel that marriage has to be confined to being between a man and woman.

In a marriage, there has always been a husband and wife. Trying to redefine that is an uphill battle that, imo, not worth it to gain the same rights for a word.

Bocefish said:
In a marriage, there has always been a husband and wife. Trying to redefine that is an uphill battle that, imo, not worth it to gain the same rights for a word.
So because it's always been done that way is your only real opposition to changing it? You've already said that you don't have an issue with same sex couples receiving the exact same benefits as a married couple, yet you don't think it's worth changing the definition of a word to give them those rights. I just can't wrap my mind around that view point.
Why should the definition of a word be set in stone?

It's a word, words change all of the time, language evolves.

Reactions: LadyLuna
Not to mention that setting up two "separate but equal" systems for couples would entail two systems of laws, regulations and taxpayer money...no matter how "equal" they end up being. It didn't work for education, so why would it help anything here.

morment said:
Bocefish said:
So because it's always been done that way is your only real opposition to changing it? You've already said that you don't have an issue with same sex couples receiving the exact same benefits as a married couple, yet you don't think it's worth changing the definition of a word to give them those rights. I just can't wrap my mind around that view point.
Why should the definition of a word be set in stone?

It's a word, words change all of the time, language evolves.

I don't have the solution, just expressing how I feel and what I think.

How do committed same sex couples introduce themselves to a married husband and wife?

I'm really not trying to be an ass here.

If there was a new connotation, it would be easier to fight for constitutional rights rather than trying to change what has been known for centuries.

Not sure what you mean by "new connotation." A new connotation is exactly what most of us are arguing in favor of.

A same-sex marriage between the two men Pedro Díaz and Muño Vandilaz in the Galician municipality of Rairiz de Veiga in Spain occurred on 16 April 1061. They were married by a priest at a small chapel. The historic documents about the church wedding were found at Monastery of San Salvador de Celanova.[83]

Another question about your opinion comes up...what about transgender people? Are they to be forced to use only "legal partnerships?"

Status
Not open for further replies.