AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

SWTOR - disappointing.......

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 11, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I was so hyped for SWTOR, then I played this past wekeend's beta and it was soooooo disappointing to me. :( The story and cut scenes for quests were awesome, but after that it was just extremely generic, unpolished, and stale. With 1 month till release, maybe SOME things will improve, but there are going to be a LOT of disappointed fans at launch I believe.

I tend to think that much of the fascination of an established universe like star wars has to do with the vivid characters and storytelling of the previous films/games/books, and not to be a Debby Downer about the potential of MMOs, but strong story and characterisation are anathema to them.

The only story you'll hear is "lf1m sarlacc pit! FULL ON JEDIS" and the only characters you'll get to know are a middle-aged couple from texas, and a 14 year old who likes to talk about "owning" people.

I am surprised you feel this way. I thought that the game play and the game itself was super polished... You have to think that the beta version is not the final build.. I have been in the beta for a few months now and with each build they release, I have def seen changes. So don't write it off yet!

Reactions: Diana Blake
I played in the beta weekend two weeks ago and then the weekend that just concluded yesterday. I liked the game two weeks ago but agree that it felt a little unpolished, and I reported a hefty number of problems and suggestions.

I was pleasantly surprised in the last 3 days I got to play on how improved the new build was. The game looked better and the flow was great. I do have to say, though, that I think force-using characters might have more fun than the soldier-types. I tried playing an Imperial Agent but found Sith Inquisitor and Jedi Knight to feel smoother, like they spent more time developing those classes, probably.

Overall, though, I'm really looking forward to the release. I've got it preordered and should have access 2 days early. :-D

Of course it is going to be a bit unpolished but like I said with each build I have received (I have been in the beta for a couple months now) it has gotta better and better. They are really trying to put the best game out that they can. I dont know about any of you but I have been waiting for this game for like 3 or 4 years... Haha. I preordered a while ago and cant wait!

I played one of the beta weekends with my guildies and had a really good time. There should be a 40 or 50 of us, split between PvP and PvE servers. I've pre-ordered and am looking forward to playing on launch. No MMO is something I expect to play forever anymore, but it should be fun for a few months, at least.

I guess I'm just tired of this same theme park model mmo. It's got a few new things which are cool like story, voice acting, companions, etc - but after that just same ole same ole. Kind of like RIFT - had the rifts which were new but everything else just cookie cutter.

Think I'm going to head back to Vanguard actually - going F2P soon also and has new dev support and updates coming down the pipeline. Miss having ships, housing, the diplomacy system, monster sized world, etc.

I'm in a guild I've been a part of for many years, and that makes all the difference in any game. Our WoW and other game chapters are gradually emptying and coming to SWTOR, so we have 20-30 people on during prime-time these days on my server (PvE), and we have another big bunch on a PvP server.

Guild aside, if you like the RPG aspect of MMOs, this game is amazing. Combat is fun, the story is great, and there are 8 different class stories. I find this game very different from WoW in that sense, and addresses one of that games biggest weaknesses. You can level through PvP, solo quests, in groups without being penalized for your choices and the crafting sucks less than in other games.

It's not a perfect game. There are still a lot of bugs to be worked out, but any MMO has those. But it's a lot of fun. :)

I bit the bullet and got this game last week. I am enjoying it, but it's not knocking me off my feet with anything. I don't feel the urge to spend all day/night on it like I did when I first started WoW, or even Warhammer. But I think the novelty of the MMO has worn off a bit over the years, so I should just blame that.

I must say I hate having to wait through the dialogues to complete quests and quest objectives though. Any way to turn that off? I know if I hit ESC to stop the conversation, I don't get the credit.

Hitting space bar pushes them to the next piece of dialog. Spamming it till you have to say something speeds things along nicely. I listen to the intro and if it sounds like a quest for a quest's sake I spam through it. If it's a class quest related to my character or a lore related quest I find I enjoy actually listening to all of it.

I played the final beta weekend and being a rather big fan of Star Wars (though admittedly not a lore junky mostly due to not reading the novels) I enjoyed that beta weekend quite a lot. I told myself I'd just stick to WoW till Diablo 3 drops but while watching Lore (of Tankspot) play in the early start, I decided I had to pick it up and did so on release day.

For anyone who cares I'm rocking a Jedi Sentinel on Helm of Graush. Yeah... it's a PvP server. A co-worker was playing there so I joined him and his guild. Level 30 so far. :)

Reactions: AmberCutie
It's on my list of games to get after I get a new computer, the one I'm on now can't run it.

Eeeep. I play and I'm bored to tears with it. I'm not disappointed with it.. it IS a good game! But it's just so boring to me. I've played MMOs for 12 years now and I just can't seem to stand SWTOR for some reason. Maybe I'm 'over' all of this MMO stuff, but I'm still showing up to every new MMO launch sooo.. maybe not. :lol:

I play on Iron Citadel. Got a level 38 Jedi Shadow, level 20 Jedi Sage. I'm going to do what I did with Rift and just tough it the fuck out even if I want to stab my eyeballs with the pointy ends of my glasses when I play it. I heard level 50 was fun so, I'm trying. :-(

Reactions: theology
I've had a couple of ex-wow guildies pestering me to try it (I won't, I'm done forever with MMOs) but the funny thing is, they both said it sucked during the beta weekend and now that they're higher level they're raving about it.

One described it as a kind of MMO version of Mass Effect which sounds pretty neat. Still not trying it lol, I have an addictive personality.

I am disappoint. So many bugs in the endgame that can easily be fixed, but they don't. NPC's named "Boss Beast 1" shows how lazy they are to not replace name place holders.

Unable to get loot from chests...

List goes on...

This is a Single player RPG which they tried to make into a MMO.

I have to admit, Elvine, that there does seem to be a certain degree of laziness for a game that took so much time and money to be developed and is in many ways polished. In other ways though it is clunky and buggy as hell. I mean what's up with the commendation modification vendors not having the same levels of armoring/mod/hilt/enhancement available for each type offered? It seems my Might armoring is always 2 levels behind the other armoring pieces. :(

I'm finding myself more and more disenfranchised with my Sentinel as I continue on and was wondering if it was just the class or not so I'll probably try something else once I get him to 50... or maybe not. It also doesn't help that I'm a week behind most of my guild due to them being in the early start. Oh well! We'll see if it regains my interest once I'm 50 and can run stuff with them.

I am also already fed up with the fact I'm on a PvP server though I did return the favor of one cocksucking Marauder; He attacked and killed me while I was fighting a strong after having already killed a normal who was nearby. I did the field res, buffed up, and went after him. He was hiding in a corner trying not to aggro any of the NPCs. Unfortunately for him he was at the top of my aggression table. >_> Felt good man.

EvaLee said:
Eeeep. I play and I'm bored to tears with it. I'm not disappointed with it.. it IS a good game! But it's just so boring to me. I've played MMOs for 12 years now and I just can't seem to stand SWTOR for some reason. Maybe I'm 'over' all of this MMO stuff, but I'm still showing up to every new MMO launch sooo.. maybe not. :lol:

I play on Iron Citadel. Got a level 38 Jedi Shadow, level 20 Jedi Sage. I'm going to do what I did with Rift and just tough it the fuck out even if I want to stab my eyeballs with the pointy ends of my glasses when I play it. I heard level 50 was fun so, I'm trying. :-(

I hear the most fun part about being level 50, is that since there are no PvP brackets, you can roflstomp some people if you saved up "honor points" to get decent gear =)

theology said:
EvaLee said:

I hear the most fun part about being level 50, is that since there are no PvP brackets, you can roflstomp some people if you saved up "honor points" to get decent gear =)

Yes and no. Your level + stats + damage gets scaled to whatever your opponent is once you engage combat. The level 50 will still perform better due to talents and more skills across the board, but it still is very balanced. I've killed a toooon of level 50s as a level 21 Sage, and a ton of 50s have killed me too. :lol:

In regards to the pvp, it really is pretty darn balanced in my opinion. Could eliminate a stun here and there, but other than that they did right with just mirroring classes. Too bad I already quit because the game is sofuckingboringjustpleasemurdermewheniplayit.

No free trial yet. A lot of people are saying they should offer one though so we'll see if they listen or not. A lot of the UI lag and bugginess are clearing up. I'll warn anyone who has been thinking about playing that MOST servers seem to be heavily Empire so on PvP realms as Republic, prepare for a lot of fighting often with unfair numbers. That said this game, unlike WoW, rewards you for grouping even on quests that do not require a group. Groups get bonuses to XP and loot. The bigger the group, the bigger the bonus so if leveling with a friend or 3 sounds like your kind of thing, SWTOR may be your kind of MMO.

I've gotten a little bored with it but am still playing it instead of WoW for now. I'm now Imperial on Ajunta Pal (US) so if any of you find yourselves there, send me a message here and I'll let you know my character. Yeah... don't ask me why we're on an RP-PvP server. I do not RP worth beans though I do put in a little effort when someone who RPs finds themselves interacting with me. <_<

Reactions: Diana Blake
Out from nowhere here I come to add my input on this. What I like about this game that I feel is unprecedented:

1. Its Star Wars, duh. Yeah there was SWG but it was not this good.
2. Customizable gear. You can get an orange custom piece at level 10, and use it all the way up to endgame with mods. This lets you keep the gear you think looks bad ass, and aren't always on a hunt for new gear, just mods.
3. Companions. This doesn't take the MMO out of the game. This just gives players another option besides waiting forever for a group. Grouping is, and will always be a better option but the companions are still there. Also the story lines behind the companions are great as well.

Some will hate it, some will be like meh, some like me will love it.

I so badly want to play this game but I'm afraid if I do all the life will get sucked out of me and I will end up a shriveled pale thing with no real life achievements to her name. Same reason I never played WoW. I was a The Realm, Everquest, Ultima Online online girl in days long past and though they were fun, I'll never get back the copious amounts of time spent playing. My only form of self-control exists in the phrase 'all or nothing'. Nothing it is :(

I'll live vicariously through you guys. One of my friends described the game to me as Knights of the Old Republic with multiplayer and that makes me want to kill myself from the sheer lust of it all.

Just an update regarding the "free trial" thing. SWTOR sent out emails to current subscribers allowing them to invite 3 friends for free 7 day trials. So hit up your friends who play and tell them to send you an invite. It only requires an email address. I plan to use 1 of mine but if two of you want to try it, feel free to let me know where to send the invite (in an ACF message if you'd prefer).

Reactions: morment
Mirra said:
Just an update regarding the "free trial" thing. SWTOR sent out emails to current subscribers allowing them to invite 3 friends for free 7 day trials. So hit up your friends who play and tell them to send you an invite. It only requires an email address. I plan to use 1 of mine but if two of you want to try it, feel free to let me know where to send the invite (in an ACF message if you'd prefer).
I'll take you up on that, assuming I'm not already too late, check your messages in a bit.

Got it today, I'm not a massive gamer so my opinions count for shit.
Spent a couple of hours getting to lvl 6. My space bar is worn out from skipping dialogue and that's kind of the experience so far.

It's fairly engaging but as soon as it starts to feel like work rather than fun i'll stop playing.
That's what I did with WoW.

Just_mark__ said:
Spent a couple of hours getting to lvl 6. My space bar is worn out from skipping dialogue and that's kind of the experience so far.
Just_mark__ said:
It's fairly engaging but as soon as it starts to feel like work rather than fun i'll stop playing.

Up to about level 15 you should be fine. After that, things slow down and some planets feel like a lot of work for relatively few levels/improvements. As I sort of mentioned in one of my earlier posts, I highly recommend listening to the entire conversation when you're doing each of the base class quests for the first time. So far I've loved the Jedi Knight and Imperial Agent class quests. I'm working through a Sith Sorcerer right now and while so far it's not as engaging as the other two, it seems to be building towards some excitement. I'm not even done with Chapter 1 yet though so much to go!. :D

I will admit the quests seemed endless. And just when you think you are done with a zone, there is a guy at the exit with a "bonus series" chain to extend your joy....lol..... Just hit 49 Yesterday hope to cap tonight.

I went republic smuggler, I wanted to go dark side but the two lads at work who are on my server out voted me :(

I choose the dark side route where available and my companion hates me for it :D. He still has to do what I tell him tho.

Luckily in The Old Republic, you can buy their love/affection. :p

That said, I have this strange habit thanks to making my priest(s) in WoW female where my healers tend to end up female... so I'm leveling a female Sith Sorcerer and I am DREADING the affection grind for Ashara. She gives almost no affection from companion gifts coming from female characters. ><

Luckily she's a later companion so she gains LOTS of rep from conversations when I choose the answers she likes... so I will probably have her out as often as possible and use Torhead or Darth Hater to see which conversation choices she likes. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.