AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Your accent.

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 4, 2016
Scotland
profiles.myfreecams.com
Twitter Username
@mysiexox
MFC Username
Mysie
Has your accent ever held you back when it came to camming? I'm Scottish, I started MFC last Monday and I've had guys bluntly say to me that they don't like my accent. My accent isn't harsh and I do tend to posh it up when on cam so people can understand me. I did know my accent wouldn't be to everyone's taste, but I had no idea how much it would work against me. Have any of you experienced negativity due to your accent?

Another question is, tonight I noticed the only people in my room were people on my friends list, no one else stayed in the room or said hey. One of my regs said that I no longer have the new model status. I know it runs out in 10 hours, but he said I should be showing on the drop down menu as its only my 2nd week, but that I wasn't anywhere to be seen. Is there a reason why MFC wouldn't be promoting me as a new model? I knew by reading up before I joined MFC that once the new status goes, a lot of girls find that many of the people who had been tipping them go AWOL. So I guess I need to do some marketing! I'd appreciate any advice from girls who started out struggling, but built themselves up. Tonight was dis-heartening but I do want to fight back. Any inspiration would be appreciated.

Thanks x

If I were you I would not worry about your brogue one bit, as long as they can make out what you are saying. It will be more difficult for members whose first language is not English, but you can't help that. Some members will find it really sexy and want to hang with you just to listen. They may take a while to find you, but find you they will.

Don't take put-downs personally. Some members will look for any reason to tear you down.

I think you will find your accent an asset, so long as you can be understood. Interesting always wins for members.

MFC new status default is 7 days, but members can set it themselves for up to 90 days (or to never). This means you can expect a new status drop in 7 days, then slowly for the next 90 days. (In terms of search this translates to around 30 models for 7 day, around 100 for a 30 day search, to around 250 models at 90 days)
As a member those specifically searching for new models, a search of 100 models is quite a fast one. Those looking at new models under 7 days are usually looking for something very different than the rest. You will still get plenty of members find you from a new status search.

There are other ways to find you after your new status expires. Your camscore, your tags, and your own self promotion. The models here can help with advice on all of that. Your twitter feed, camscore, profile and so on look pretty good, you are thinking about what you are doing, I think you have made a good start. Your concern about no one staying is a pretty typical one to all models, the good thing is that they have found you and been interested enough in you to actually show up in your room, even if they leave soon after.

Another question is, tonight I noticed the only people in my room were people on my friends list, no one else stayed in the room or said hey.
Members searching for models they have not met yet are effectively shopping.
At the point they visit your room, they have usually already seen and like the look of you, many will have looked in your profile, most will have read your room topic with some idea of how many are in your room, some will have been watching your feed. The next step will be a PM or a room visit. This is were they will decide if they want to stay or not and where your work really begins to keep them interested.

Many ultimately wont be interested, some may be turned off by your room in some way. Those who really like you found you as soon as you arrived, the others just missed finding you earlier or need to be convinced that your company is what they need.
It is up to you, your instinct, your assessment of what those arriving need, and your actions that will determine if they stay. There is only one you, and some part of these visitors choose you over everyone else.

Reactions: Mysie
I'm Glaswegian and I swear all the guys comment when they come in about how much they love my accent. I don't think I've ever had someone say they don't like it. Maybe don't try to posh it up and just speak like you would to anyone else.

I have a Canadian accent. But. When I first started camming I had an excessively high pitched voice. Like we are talking I sounded like a six year old bb in a cartoon. Dudes used to always come in and tease me about it and living life as an adult who used a telephone was hard. So I got thyroplasty to lower my voice. They cut my chordsss. I came back to cam a few weeks later and suddenly less traffic. Less tipping. I realised while there was the nightly jackass who was rude to me I gained a lot of traffic because the way I sounded was unique. Now I blend with every other north american gal. So. Moral of this long ass story: do you. Keep your uniqueness because in the end it may be more of an advantage than you realise.

Starting out can always be slow as you slowly gain more followers and get traffic. :h: those guys who don't dig your accent can screw off because there will be even more who will lurve it

any "accent" you are not familiar with you must get used to. your accent is fine. if you dump your studio and can't keep your current name may I suggest you try Mysie2.0. good luck

• Helpful!
People usually find my international accent interesting. Some guess the base is Russian, most have no clue because it's so mixed. Had some negative comments but nothing too bad. I think it helps with being different from other models, more recognizable maybe.

It's a gun game in my room - every new person is trying to guess where my accent is from and they are always wrong and it is si funny for me and all the regs who already know! So it's definitely an asset, makes you stand out! So it's definitely notjing to worry about :)

I sometimes wonder if i experience xenophobia on cam because of my accent/ not being american/ my first language isn't english.

There are guys who find my accent sexy and dig it, but some leave as soon as i inform them that i am not american/ british.

I cam on streamate and i speak fluent english, but still sometimes i get weird guys assuming things about me. I think it can be an asset,make you more interesting, but you might also get ignorant people who are not into it.

The most annoying thing i get is guys assuming that i am in a studio wtf.

• Hugs
Not sure if you're still about (profile link seems to be gone), but I know I dropped by your room the other night.

My method, with a cam girl I've seen but never interacted with, is to first of all enter the room. I turn the sound up, and then click to read the profile. Whether I stay or not depends on if I either hear something said in the room, be it typed or spoken by the model, or read something on the profile that makes me want to stay. For me to want to interact, and want to spend my tokens, I personally need something to hook me in that short space of time. While others might be different, that's just how I am. I don't think I stayed because of this, and having checked it certainly doesn't appear in my archives.

I'm not sure if this is how others are, but it may be something to keep in mind.

• Wat?!
Reactions: FluffyGalore
Thanks for your response everyone. I did leave my studio and I'm going back to an old solo account I had ages ago that MFC seemed to have kept open. To be honest having the new model status was more hassle than it was worth I found. Too many scammers asking for paypal and such. I'd much rather go back to my old account and just work my way up.

Not sure if you're still about (profile link seems to be gone), but I know I dropped by your room the other night.

My method, with a cam girl I've seen but never interacted with, is to first of all enter the room. I turn the sound up, and then click to read the profile. Whether I stay or not depends on if I either hear something said in the room, be it typed or spoken by the model, or read something on the profile that makes me want to stay. For me to want to interact, and want to spend my tokens, I personally need something to hook me in that short space of time. While others might be different, that's just how I am. I don't think I stayed because of this, and having checked it certainly doesn't appear in my archives.

I'm not sure if this is how others are, but it may be something to keep in mind.

I appreciate your response, but I'm not really sure what you're saying here, if you didn't try and communicate with me then I'm not sure what you wanted me to say or do? When someone enters my room, I never say hello unless they are a reg because some people do just room hop or prefer to sit in silence. If someone new comes in and says hello I will communicate with them and ask them how they are and such. If you weren't hooked by whatever conversation I was having at that time then that's fair enough. But I still don't understand when you said that I should keep this in mind because different people have different tastes and unfortunately I cannot read the minds of whoever comes into my room and know straight off the bat what they're into to keep them hooked.

I'm not really sure that this was needed. Your basically saying to the op that you went in and weren't interested so moved on. Why is this helpful to her or her post? It's a bit of a slap in the face to be truthful. and as far as keeping it in mind, what exactly would you have her keep in mind? That some guys won't be "hooked" we aren't going to attract everyone. So like I said your comment is not helpful to anyone considering the thread is about her accent NOT wether you enjoyed her room for the 60 seconds you were in it. Next time click next and don't announce to a model that you were in but weren't "hooked".

To me, it's the economics of a site like MFC. It is basic supply and demand. Personally, I'm a fan of the Scottish accent, but in that time I'd heard no interaction with the room whatsoever. Actually speaking to the room might've given me the will to stay a bit longer, but solid silence just didn't. If I don't like it, I move on until I find something that entices me to stay.

I don't speak for every member, but I imagine most are similar in their mindset. With that in mind, some sort of constant discussion, even if it's just small talk, would be the way to improve things.

• Wat?!
To me, it's the economics of a site like MFC. It is basic supply and demand. Personally, I'm a fan of the Scottish accent, but in that time I'd heard no interaction with the room whatsoever. Actually speaking to the room might've given me the will to stay a bit longer, but solid silence just didn't. If I don't like it, I move on until I find something that entices me to stay.

I don't speak for every member, but I imagine most are similar in their mindset. With that in mind, some sort of constant discussion, even if it's just small talk, would be the way to improve things.

Are you absolutely sure that it was my room and if so, how long did you stay for? I'm asking this because it would be unusual to not find me chatting unless I was in the process of sending videos or no one else wants to chat. Even at that, I sometimes sit and talk to myself. It's hard to communicate in a room no one is saying anything but I still give it a bash. So I'm interested to know if you said hello or if you were only in for a few minutes.

Has your accent ever held you back when it came to camming? I'm Scottish, I started MFC last Monday and I've had guys bluntly say to me that they don't like my accent. My accent isn't harsh and I do tend to posh it up when on cam so people can understand me. I did know my accent wouldn't be to everyone's taste, but I had no idea how much it would work against me. Have any of you experienced negativity due to your accent?
Yes! I am Australian so when I first started I had to learn to neautralize my accent so that more people could understand me. Now, it´s a lot more neutral and everyday I cop shit from some Australian who doesn´t think I am Australian enough, or claims I am American pretending to be Australian because I don´t sound bogan.

Don´t let it get to you cause I know that all of my regs enjoy my accent alot, like a lot, dirty talk is more than half my income. Maybe just try and speak slower if you speak really fast so that everyone can understand you :)

Are you absolutely sure that it was my room and if so, how long did you stay for? I'm asking this because it would be unusual to not find me chatting unless I was in the process of sending videos or no one else wants to chat. Even at that, I sometimes sit and talk to myself. It's hard to communicate in a room no one is saying anything but I still give it a bash. So I'm interested to know if you said hello or if you were only in for a few minutes.

I am non-stop entertainment but you can bet your sweet ass some first timer will catch me during the five seconds when I'm adjusting the camera or some such.

Fuck me gently constant conversation? That is not only stupid but just bizzare. How do you suppose a model is to talk constantly? We send out vids pics answer pms. Not to mention taking a drink, adjusting cams, writing topics, dealing with something off screen, changing music, doing a paid for request for a member the list is endless. So this is just unrealistic. Besides the original point I was making was that the thread was about guys commenting on her accent. So your original post is still pointless and still a slap in the face and tbh not something that you needed to say. Feel free to disagree again with this post.

Seems the union is out in force as usual, but I'd rather tell it how it is. If you appear dull on that first entrance, and your profile is dull, you need something special to get people to stay and tip you. You don't get two chances to make a first impression, and in this case the OP didn't make a good enough one on me. I answered the question that an accent wouldn't put me off, and in no way should be used as a get-out for other things.

You may not like it, but that's just how it is. Nobody is going to spend money if you don't give them a reason to, and in a world where there's plenty choice, you have to make every second count. I don't see the point in telling a model, who evidently is questioning their own success, what they want to hear. My experience was definitely of the OP's room, and they just gave me no incentive to stay and spend money in that short time.

If you're dealing with something off screen, there's a chance I'd pop back at some point, but I rarely enter a room where I can see the model is off screen anyway. If you're writing a topic, changing music etc it in no way impacts on your ability to speak, evening if it's just small talk. It's not unrealistic at all, and plenty people manage to do just that.

Seems the union is out in force as usual, but I'd rather tell it how it is. If you appear dull on that first entrance, and your profile is dull, you need something special to get people to stay and tip you. You don't get two chances to make a first impression, and in this case the OP didn't make a good enough one on me. I answered the question that an accent wouldn't put me off, and in no way should be used as a get-out for other things.

You may not like it, but that's just how it is. Nobody is going to spend money if you don't give them a reason to, and in a world where there's plenty choice, you have to make every second count. I don't see the point in telling a model, who evidently is questioning their own success, what they want to hear. My experience was definitely of the OP's room, and they just gave me no incentive to stay and spend money in that short time.

If you're dealing with something off screen, there's a chance I'd pop back at some point, but I rarely enter a room where I can see the model is off screen anyway. If you're writing a topic, changing music etc it in no way impacts on your ability to speak, evening if it's just small talk. It's not unrealistic at all, and plenty people manage to do just that.
Even though I understand where you are coming from I would REALLY like to see you try and respond PM´s and keep an active conversation going, even small talk going at the same time, without even 5 seconds of quiet. Or change topic / camera / tease / respond to a million questions at once / don´t look like you are concetrating too hard cause you must smile at all times / have a different conversation in your head from the one that is going out your fingers and from the one that is going out your mouth.

Really, I would really like to see you do it. And when you can do it, please share your secrets with the rest of us who sometimes have short gaps of silence in our room when we are doing other room related things. Please.

Just proof that a many viewers expect models to be 100% on-point 100% of the time that they are broadcasting... :) It's tough! (And one of the reasons that 3 hours on cam feels more tiring than 8 hours at a desk/office job.)

Apparently when I am sending a PM or focused on something in a different window when I am on cam I get "serious face" (and usually stop verbally communicating for those moments). I imagine I'm the kind of cam girl that wouldn't win you over if you stopped in during one of these brief moments.

Oh, and a little note (don't take this as an attack)
Seems the union is out in force as usual,
But it was only 1 person giving you grief about your posts, really. Not much of a union if it's a single person. ;)

What is interesting to me is that I joined MFC because I was told I chat too much by a few guys on an other site I worked on, but now I'm being told I don't talk enough by an mfc member. If anything if worry that I babble on too much so I can only guess that you were in my room when I was sending videos or something as such. I too get a serious face when I'm sending a PM. Not everyone finds it easy to multitask and considering I am a bit new to the site and still have to get used to the flow, I believe I'm doing okay. I'm happy with and appreciate the regs I've gained so far and I don't believe I need to or that I will please everyone. I guess your 'advice' has made me come to peace with that fact, so thank you.

Cam life is hard. Welcome to the world of untactful comments and insults!

When I say that I'm not meaning this job sucks, it's just something that seems to happen.

It's not you, it's them. :p

Buttttttt anyway. Yes, your accent is kind of part of your image. A LOOOTTT of people will love it, then some people will hate it. Some people really won't mind it but will use it to put you down anyway. I'd say you just gotta own it and use it more as an advantage and ignore the negative comments. And I don't think it causes lack of success. I think it can do the opposite because it makes you stick out from the rest of the 1000 cam girls online.

Status
Not open for further replies.