AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

DayZ - open world zombie survival, persistent characters!

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jupiter551

V.I.P. AmberLander
Feb 2, 2011
Check this out!!
**apparently the players are far more dangerous than the zombies - they'll rob you at gunpoint, if they don't just kill you and take your stuff (perma-death btw)

Re: DayZ - open world zombie survival, persistent characters

There's over a million unique players, this mod put ArmaII (a 2 year old, fairly niche, hardcore military shooter) at number 3 steam bestseller right now. According to the website the current average life expectancy of a character is 49 mins lol
http://dayzmod.com/

Rumor has it it's being polished off as it's own game. :dance:

It may not seem like the kind of game you'd wish to sit and watch someone else play, but it's a blast to have two or three friends sitting around keeping an eye out for Zombies and you inch your way across the map. The tension and investment you all have in your character somehow sidesteps the slow-go.

Other players are most certainly a bigger danger than the reanimated corpses, fuckers be brutal over my wood axe and pepsi.

SindiRae said:
Rumor has it it's being polished off as it's own game. :dance:

It may not seem like the kind of game you'd wish to sit and watch someone else play, but it's a blast to have two or three friends sitting around keeping an eye out for Zombies and you inch your way across the map. The tension and investment you all have in your character somehow sidesteps the slow-go.

Other players are most certainly a bigger danger than the reanimated corpses, fuckers be brutal over my wood axe and pepsi.
yup I just spent 2 hours trekking overland back to my body, finally got my stuff back and not 2 minutes later - shot in the back.

Mr. Evvie has been watching youtube videos of people playing this game, he thinks it's really in-depth but he thinks there isn't much to do. Anyone have opinions on that? What is the actual content of the game?

Evvie said:
Mr. Evvie has been watching youtube videos of people playing this game, he thinks it's really in-depth but he thinks there isn't much to do. Anyone have opinions on that? What is the actual content of the game?

Not much, really. That sounds like a bad review but it's really an engaging experience. Survive. For as long as you can. I guess in that way its like COD Multi-player. There are no NPC's or storyline or dialogue. Just don't become a Zombie, and don't get sniped by other survivors. The game does keep count of kills for the survivor you're currently playing, but as soon as you're dead, go directly to GO and don't collect $200.

I believe its a $15 download on steam, so not a huge waste if its not his game, but I will say playing it does more than watching. You want to see how long you can last, what you can find (you can find maps, gps, car parts to fix cars or fix up and fly helicopters, make molotov cocktails and use the light to draw in unsuspecting survivors at night then ambush them for their packs...) It's a very open world that gives you the tools to make it your own game, to a degree.

A very unique experience.

Side note:
Im very excited to check out ZombieU when the WiiU comes out. It seems to have some of the same mechanics behind DayZ like once you die you move on to another survivor, if you open your pack, you're not really paused and can still be attacked, so be aware of your surroundings, etc. Just no multiplayer that I've seen mentioned yet, though if the developers are smart some DLC that makes multiplayer available would be saweet.

Reactions: Evvie

Evvie said:
Well to a certain extent, for me anyway, there's actually tons to do because everything from collecting food and medical supplies to firearms to vehicle parts is very likely to lead you into some very sticky situations - assuming you don't just get murdered and robbed by another player(s), which is fairly likely to happen.

Danger is fairly constant and death comes swiftly even to the best geared if they get sloppy. You don't even start with a weapon, and if you die you'll respawn somewhere randomly around the coast of a 225 sq km island crawling with zombies. It makes the life and death possibility rather tense.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, as far as I've found the amount of stuff there is to do is deceptive until you play and can gauge the difficulty of *doing* it.

I have been following this one for a while now. I'm very stoked for when they release an official version. The beta was available on steam for a bit. Not sure if it still is.

:dance:

yup the mod is still free to play and download as long as you own ArmA II and one expansion (operation arrowhead). It's a ton of fun, though I wish there were more opportunities for survivors to trust one another while still allowing free pvp. As it is now people shoot first - myself included. There is really no incentive to trusting anyone, it just paints a big fat target on your back the second you turn around.

I guess "be the change you want to see in the world" doesn't apply after the zombie apocalypse! You'll just be shot and looted :lol:

I think the cut-throat bandits will become more troublesome than the zombies themselves. Not such a bad thing. It's a new and different element that you have to deal with. I'm looking forward to it after playing the first two episodes of the walking dead on xbox live. I have two save files on the go: one is heroic and the other steals food from kids. I'm having much more fun playing the bad guy than the hero. Fall out was a similar experience.

Loot or be looooooooooted :dance:

...I am really a nice person though!
videogames dont count
:h:

Oh yeah, the other players are far more of a danger than the zombies. Last night, my character was out in a rainstorm too long and now he has an infection :( He coughs, constantly loses health, and while I was (unsuccessfully) searching for antibiotics to cure it some fucker stole my bike so now I have to walk everywhere lol :(

Jupiter551 said:
Oh yeah, the other players are far more of a danger than the zombies. Last night, my character was out in a rainstorm too long and now he has an infection :( He coughs, constantly loses health, and while I was (unsuccessfully) searching for antibiotics to cure it some fucker stole my bike so now I have to walk everywhere lol :(

HAHAHA, I cannot wait to play this game! I'm upgrading my computer in the next few months and I am geeking out over the endless game possibilities. This game is definitely on my to-do list (although I probably won't touch the beta). My capture card won't be able to handle the amount of geek that is about to be thrown at it.

Do you find that the weather change it is easily predictable or is it like hard rain on left4dead where all of a sudden its pouring and you're standing in 2 feet of water? I doubt there is much you can do other than find shelter.

Dani_withani said:
Jupiter551 said:

HAHAHA, I cannot wait to play this game! I'm upgrading my computer in the next few months and I am geeking out over the endless game possibilities. This game is definitely on my to-do list (although I probably won't touch the beta). My capture card won't be able to handle the amount of geek that is about to be thrown at it.

Do you find that the weather change it is easily predictable or is it like hard rain on left4dead where all of a sudden its pouring and you're standing in 2 feet of water? I doubt there is much you can do other than find shelter.

Well there was thunder, but yeah rain comes in torrents or showers, and fairly suddenly. You can make a fire (out of the rain obv) and try to keep your temperature up, seek shelter, use heatpacks etc - and I did, I built a fire, warmed up, then kept going but I guess I just got unlucky and my temp dropped again :(

It's been a rough couple of days since my bike was stolen by some heartless bastard - it just seemed like with the infection, spending time looking for antibiotics (unsuccessfully), and slogging around on foot I hadn't any time to scrounge for ammo so that began to run out....

Eventually, on a hillside in the mountains above Shakhovka, under a fir tree gently sighing in the breeze, my survivor breathed his last. A combination of malnutrition and exhaustion, coupled with the illness, finally did what some 580 zombies and however many players could not.

Not too bad I think though - this guy lasted almost a week realtime, in a game where the average life expectancy is 49 minutes. Since then I've been slaving to get myself back to a workable position, found an SUV up on blocks with major damage and using a motorcycle I found to scavenge for parts for it.

Jupiter551 said:
It's been a rough couple of days since my bike was stolen by some heartless bastard - it just seemed like with the infection, spending time looking for antibiotics (unsuccessfully), and slogging around on foot I hadn't any time to scrounge for ammo so that began to run out....

Eventually, on a hillside in the mountains above Shakhovka, under a fir tree gently sighing in the breeze, my survivor breathed his last. A combination of malnutrition and exhaustion, coupled with the illness, finally did what some 580 zombies and however many players could not.

Not too bad I think though - this guy lasted almost a week realtime, in a game where the average life expectancy is 49 minutes. Since then I've been slaving to get myself back to a workable position, found an SUV up on blocks with major damage and using a motorcycle I found to scavenge for parts for it.

I think I will find it really hard letting go of my characters after working so hard on them. Should we have a little mini funeral? Do you need to talk with a councilor? lol

I grew up as a call of duty kid and have a lot of rage when I game. I realized that and switched to battlefield (never to touch cod ever again). I have a feeling this game will have me yelling obscenities as well.
I am the rage-quitter extraordinaire!

I had a moment of silence for him. Then raced as fast as I could back to the body to get my stuff lol.

Far more than deaths, what annoys me is server bugs and crashes that cause my tents, with all their stored guns etc (often really really good guns and their ammo that I don't want to risk losing in pvp) get deleted....I've literally lost EVERYTHING like 3 or 4 times over now. I guess it's a lesson not to get attached to shit.

Jupiter551 said:
I had a moment of silence for him. Then raced as fast as I could back to the body to get my stuff lol.

Far more than deaths, what annoys me is server bugs and crashes that cause my tents, with all their stored guns etc (often really really good guns and their ammo that I don't want to risk losing in pvp) get deleted....I've literally lost EVERYTHING like 3 or 4 times over now. I guess it's a lesson not to get attached to shit.

Ouch! I love looting and hoarding weapons. Losing everything like that would break my heart! haha

Status
Not open for further replies.