AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Looking for NZ based cam models for a documentary

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 22, 2017
Hi guys! I've posted before about my thesis, which is going to be focusing on the experiences of NZ-based camgirls. I've just been approached about putting together a mini doco on the subject, which would be open to webcam models of any gender. Just putting this out there - if any of you participate in cam work and would be keen to participate, send me a message and we can organise an interview with yourselves and the filmmakers.

I want to emphasise that I am pro-labor rights and the rights of sex workers in general, and the doco would not support an abolitionist perspective. (This is not going to be another 'Hot Girls Wanted'.) Rather, we would want our participants to shape the perspective of the work, and focus on aspects such as the importance of decriminalisation/law reform, online safety/experiences of doxxing, the New Zealand Prostitutes' Collective, labour rights/fair compensation/sex work as legitimate work - stuff like that.

Auckland-based people would be preferred for convenience's sake, but we're potentially open to people outside of here - just hit us up and we'll try to figure something out.

Finally, this project is in the very very early stages so I don't have a huge amount of detail I can give you, but if you have any questions or concerns about myself or the project, please feel free to let me know and I'll do my best to answer you as fully as possible :)

I want to emphasise that I am pro-labor rights and the rights of sex workers in general, and the doco would not support an abolitionist perspective. (This is not going to be another 'Hot Girls Wanted'.) Rather, we would want our participants to shape the perspective of the work, and focus on aspects such as the importance of decriminalisation/law reform, online safety/experiences of doxxing, the New Zealand Prostitutes' Collective, labour rights/fair compensation/sex work as legitimate work - stuff like that.

I was actually surprised to read that New Zealand has decriminalized sex work and is apparently much more progressive on sex work issues than most other democracies. In reading through that link I just referenced, it says that five different government entities are regulating sex work. In practice does that actually work? Seems like it could become a bureaucratic nightmare.

I was actually surprised to read that New Zealand has decriminalized sex work and is apparently much more progressive on sex work issues than most other democracies. In reading through that link I just referenced, it says that five different government entities are regulating sex work. In practice does that actually work? Seems like it could become a bureaucratic nightmare.

Great question! In essence, it tends to be as much or as little of a bureaucratic nightmare as any other area of employment in NZ. Different organisations can and do handle different aspects of the industry, primarily when it's a full-on business like a brothel (I'm comparing to independent workers here). Sex work, as the webpage details, isn't treated EXACTLY the same as other jobs, but only in the ways that sex work requires a slightly different approach based on what happens in the process (lots of jobs have specific laws because the practices are different to others, though). The overarching model basically means that you cannot be charged for buying, selling or otherwise facilitating sex work between consenting adults (which, in my opinion, is a lot simpler than the semi-legal models operating in other areas of the world, like Germany or the state of Victoria in Australia). This is my understanding based on speaking with workers, the NZPC (who's website you just referenced) and my own research, though I may have missed or misunderstood something (if anyone's reading this and I have, please let me know!)

In saying all this, the stigma around the work and workers still strongly persists in NZ, even despite our legal model (which is really depressing, obviously). More work is needed in terms of explaining to the public that sex workers deserve safety and respect, and this can't only be done through the law - we need to, as a society, focus on treating sex workers better (much in the same vein as feminist/PoC/LGBT rights movements - the legal side is important but there's a lot of deeply entrenched social stuff to get past). I'm hoping this doco would help serve that task :)

• Helpful!
Reactions: weirdbr and Smores
There's been some really bad things happen to girls who volunteered for documentries recently so don't take it to heart if nobody contacts you, we are just fed up of being used tbh

There's been some really bad things happen to girls who volunteered for documentries recently so don't take it to heart if nobody contacts you, we are just fed up of being used tbh

Oh totally, I've had similar responses in my own research (even though it's fully anonymous/not filmed) and I can't fault the logic at all. Academic and media approaches to sex workers have been (and are) paternalistic and judgmental at best. My goal is to facilitate a situation where the workers can control the narrative and make the final call over the edits, but like you said, I don't blame anyone for being wary - I'd be tired of it too.

No matter what the outcome, I do want to offer my thanks to those of you who have taken the time out to speak to me on this forum, I really appreciate your inputs :)

Status
Not open for further replies.