AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

How to increase my internet upload speed?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PenelopeHume

I haven't posted recently, hopefully will be back soon!
Inactive Cam Model
Sep 28, 2010
Hey guys, I have the "best" cable package from my provider, and on their website it says "upload speeds of up to 1mb".

Doing a speed test puts my upload speed at around 0.48 for BOTH of my laptops. I haven't had too many problems with this when it comes to webcam, but one downside is that I can't stream in HD on Streamate because the required speed is 0.6 and when I tried it, the video came out very choppy.

Today my crappy Logitech 500 broke completely so I'm about to go buy a Microsoft HD Lifecam (the Logitech 9000 is not available anywhere near me, and I need to get on cam tonight) and I'm just worried that with my upload speed might be too slow and it'll come out choppy if I try to broadcast at its highest 720p HD setting.

Is there any way to increase my upload speed? I've been googling this all day and haven't come up with anything. My current ISP provider is the only one available in my area so I don't have an option to switch to another company.

PenelopeHume said:
Hey guys, I have the "best" cable package from my provider, and on their website it says "upload speeds of up to 1mb".

Doing a speed test puts my upload speed at around 0.48 for BOTH of my laptops. I haven't had too many problems with this when it comes to webcam, but one downside is that I can't stream in HD on Streamate because the required speed is 0.6 and when I tried it, the video came out very choppy.

Today my crappy Logitech 500 broke completely so I'm about to go buy a Microsoft HD Lifecam (the Logitech 9000 is not available anywhere near me, and I need to get on cam tonight) and I'm just worried that with my upload speed might be too slow and it'll come out choppy if I try to broadcast at its highest 720p HD setting.

Is there any way to increase my upload speed? I've been googling this all day and haven't come up with anything. My current ISP provider is the only one available in my area so I don't have an option to switch to another company.

At least on MFC, you cannot cam at >320x240. 480k is quite acceptable - not ideal maybe - but with good light and a good camera - fine.

There are several possible complex solutions.
The cheapest may be to get two connections, and 'bond' them.
Unfortunately, this is complex, I have no idea how you'd go about it in windows.
In general, you'd need a server somewhere, running bonding software, and a program on your end acts like a splitter to route the connection over both connections to the server which merges them up.

Some ISPs support this, meaning you don't need a server.

Hm... sounds a bit complicated. I may just have to deal with my mediocre connection until next year when I move to a more populated area with more options for internet access.

I'll be trying out the new camera here soon... I pray to the webcam Gods that everything works right and my earnings increase. :pray:

Cheetah blood.

1mb is the fastest? Ouch. I guess since that's up speed. But still. Possibly ask them about a business tier package. Let them know you need better up speeds but your down is fine.

When you're testing your upload speed, make sure you're wired in and not using a wireless link. That way you can rule out the wireless being the problem.

Also you can reduce your frame rate to 15fps if you have a middle program to do so - but I wouldn't recommend this if your computer itself isn't fast. If your computer is fast though and your internet isn't; lowering the frame rate is a very good idea. If things are still laggy - lower it to 12. There'll be motion blur, but it'll help with the lag.

Also you can get a better internet card. My desktop gets well over 5mbps and it's on wireless, so sometimes a good wireless card can be plenty if you can't do wired.

i sometimes have the feeling my cam doesnt run fully well and was wondering if it has anything to do with my computer or internet speed
i'm not much of a pc understander... and when it comes to things like this i'm kinda clueless

can someone help me out and tell me if my pc (laptop) and internet is good enough or if its just really the cam?

tested the internet speed true a wireless router

Okay, another cam site has a speed testing utility, and some helpful information technical information about cams.

There are two steps for the speed test, and one of them requires you to have your cam on. It will show you your basic upload speed, and then you can test the effective upload speed of your cam. They use it to allow prospective models to check their upload speed to determine the kind of framerate they can expect based on their bandwidth. It just tests throughput.

Please send me a PM for the link, as it's not public information, and, as I have no responsibility for the site, I don't want to go advertising it.

In general you can try to increase your internet speed and here are some tips..
Follow these given below Steps
1. Go to My Computer property
2. Choose HARDWARE.
3. then you will see down there will be the option of DEVICE MANAGER Click on it
4. Your computer configuration will be adduce infront you there will be the modems section.
5. then Go to Modems Properties having right click on it
6. then go to Advanced option after that you will see a box name is Extra initialization
commands u just have to put there one command is at*fx
7. then click on ok and Enjoy High Speed of your internet
to check the connection speed try http://www.scanmyspeed.com/ and know the speed and if you still feel it to be slow then you can contact your provider to get high speed..

pronky said:
In general you can try to increase your internet speed and here are some tips..
Follow these given below Steps
1. Go to My Computer property
2. Choose HARDWARE.
3. then you will see down there will be the option of DEVICE MANAGER Click on it
4. Your computer configuration will be adduce infront you there will be the modems section.
5. then Go to Modems Properties having right click on it
6. then go to Advanced option after that you will see a box name is Extra initialization
commands u just have to put there one command is at*fx
7. then click on ok and Enjoy High Speed of your internet
to check the connection speed try http://www.scanmyspeed.com/ and know the speed and if you still feel it to be slow then you can contact your provider to get high speed..

Those are settings for old analogue modems and do NOT apply to cable modems.

And the original posting was back in 2010 :lol:

I think your main bottleneck is either your wiring, or your ISP itself. I would consider contacting them if they've advertised to provide more - .5Mb/s upload is frankly inadequate. You should be getting at least 1Mb/s from any reasonable company.

Status
Not open for further replies.