AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Anyone Notice MFC Private Message Windows Filter Some Lines?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So you just use translation services to talk to any model whose first language isn't english?

Aren't a lot of translation services not perfect? Theoretically you could translate something and it come out totally wrong "lost in translation" if you will haha id be careful with that lol

Absolutely you are right. You definitely do not want to be the guy who tries to throw out the compliment "you have the most amazing mouth and tongue" and have that translated as "Lots of language from that mouth of yours. Amazing." Lol

The trick I learned is to take the translated sentence, go to a different translation site, and run that through a reverse translation back to English. That catches the horrible cases, so at least you do not say things that are meaningless or insulting. I then substitute words and change structure until the reverse translation ends up close to my intended meaning. The downside to this approach is that it can take a lot of time to find a sentence that translates correctly to your meaning.

You also have to invest time finding which sites have the best translations for a given language. Some languages, like Estonian, do not appear to have any good translators available. A major language like Russian has good coverage.

Once you get good at this, you can be in a situation where you are the only person in the room who is actually able to communicate deeply with the model. Sometimes, a friendship can develop. There are of course many studio models who are so tightly supervised that all you get back are shallow emojis and one or two word responses. Of course I know when that happens that I am wasting time. It's really sad to hear the response in this thread that the sites are effectively trying to sabotage communications because they do not have the staff trained to supervise all such communications. It feels at times like the whole structure of the world is being shaped by a few bad people (e.g., terrorists affecting overall privacy).

So you just use translation services to talk to any model whose first language isn't english?

Aren't a lot of translation services not perfect? Theoretically you could translate something and it come out totally wrong "lost in translation" if you will haha id be careful with that lol

Translation services typically translate word for word, so if you're going between languages that structure their sentences differently, you often end up with gibberish.

Translation services typically translate word for word, so if you're going between languages that structure their sentences differently, you often end up with gibberish.

The better quality online translators are starting to get much more sophisticated than that. If you try a language like Estonian, you get a result similar to what you are describing, and it is just hard to come up with a good translation. For a language like Russian, some sites are starting to get impressively smart.

The tool I really want - but cannot find yet - is something that lets me select parts of the sentence and see the contextual possible meanings, then select the alternative I want from among the choices. That lets you fix the sex of a reference (i.e., he/she/it) which is frequently mistranslated, but it can also catch gross errors. Being able to do that all with a software tool that grammatically parses the sentence, and quickly lets you select alternative constructions, would give you the ability to construct complex sentences much more rapidly. It can take me four or five minutes to build one sentence with the method I am describing, if the first few attempts do not translate correctly.

I had a Russian model tell me the other day that I was obviously lying to her about being a person using Google Translator. She insisted that I was a Russian man talking to her. So that was a relationship Fail, but the translation approach gets an A grade. :giggle: She was a studio-supervised model and maybe not a person who demanded a whole lot in conversation. I think to most Russian speakers I would come across now as an obvious foreigner who has moderate conversational skill but doesn't understand idiom at all. If they tested me they would quickly determine that I am not a native. But I literally understand nothing about Russian and I am 100% dependent on technology. From my end, I feel nearly lost in some of the conversations that get into cultural issues I don't understand, but I can at least follow the thread of the conversation. To me it is just impressive that technology has come this far.

Have you considered just taking a course or two in Russian? Obviously a new language takes time and effort to learn but if you really want to communicate in Russian, why not learn it?

Absolutely you are right. You definitely do not want to be the guy who tries to throw out the compliment "you have the most amazing mouth and tongue" and have that translated as "Lots of language from that mouth of yours. Amazing." Lol

The trick I learned is to take the translated sentence, go to a different translation site, and run that through a reverse translation back to English. That catches the horrible cases, so at least you do not say things that are meaningless or insulting. I then substitute words and change structure until the reverse translation ends up close to my intended meaning. The downside to this approach is that it can take a lot of time to find a sentence that translates correctly to your meaning.

You also have to invest time finding which sites have the best translations for a given language. Some languages, like Estonian, do not appear to have any good translators available. A major language like Russian has good coverage.

Once you get good at this, you can be in a situation where you are the only person in the room who is actually able to communicate deeply with the model. Sometimes, a friendship can develop. There are of course many studio models who are so tightly supervised that all you get back are shallow emojis and one or two word responses. Of course I know when that happens that I am wasting time. It's really sad to hear the response in this thread that the sites are effectively trying to sabotage communications because they do not have the staff trained to supervise all such communications. It feels at times like the whole structure of the world is being shaped by a few bad people (e.g., terrorists affecting overall privacy).

I dunno man seems like alooooot of work when you could just like talk in English lol. Instead of using all diff translators and researching them and translating 6 times lol. I bet your convos are slow going haha

Have you considered just taking a course or two in Russian? Obviously a new language takes time and effort to learn but if you really want to communicate in Russian, why not learn it?

I might get to that point! My interest in such a huge commitment is slowly growing. The alphabet is tough. The pronunciation is even tougher. The word order and structure of Russian would not be intuitive to a Romance language speaker. So my odds of cracking that and becoming conversational are slim. But it still might be interesting to try.

I dunno man seems like alooooot of work when you could just like talk in English lol. Instead of using all diff translators and researching them and translating 6 times lol. I bet your convos are slow going haha

If the model speaks good English, I usually revert to English. Obviously easy is better than tough.

But sometimes the model has zero English. They do a rough translation from English to Russian - using the same online translators I am using - and what you get back as a reply from the model is a one or two word response or an emoji. In other words, they don't have time - or motivation - during the show to figure out what your sentence really means. To contrast, if my Russian is clear enough, I start to get back 10 word responses. Over time, the sentences become more complete and sometimes important things are shared.

Keep in mind that if the model speaks or writes good English, you are competing for her attention with everyone else in the room. If you are the only Russian speaker, you have much more of her attention.

What I am doing would drive most extroverts nuts. I get that. But if you are an introvert and cerebral, the extra work to get back a real thought is okay.

What I am doing would drive most extroverts nuts. I get that. But if you are an introvert and cerebral, the extra work to get back a real thought is okay.

Most introverts aren't going to spend that much energy communicating. But think what you want.

Most introverts aren't going to spend that much energy communicating. But think what you want.

I rarely spend more than about 30 minutes in one room. Many of the rooms I go to have regulars that seem to hang out there four or more hours at a time, and they are staying in the conversation most of that time. So it's interesting to me that you perceive what I do as requiring much energy. I view it as requiring about as much energy as watching a 30 minute sitcom, which is to say almost no energy at all. To me it is more like an interesting puzzle to try to break the code of the language and see if I can get a useful exchange. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

I might get to that point! My interest in such a huge commitment is slowly growing. The alphabet is tough. The pronunciation is even tougher. The word order and structure of Russian would not be intuitive to a Romance language speaker. So my odds of cracking that and becoming conversational are slim. But it still might be interesting to try.

Never mind that tough stuff! This is the way to go.

semaphore-flag-codes3.jpg

Just get your flags. Two sets here, one for yourself and one for the model.

https://www.amazon.com/Semaphore-Signal-Flag-Red-Yellow/dp/B01BLOXDJS

Some intensive mutual signal learning maybe. Then it's open my cam, c2c bb and away you go. No worries about filtered lines ever again.

:nod:

So it's interesting to me that you perceive what I do as requiring much energy

Running a single sentence through multiple translators is minimal energy to you? If I had to work that hard to talk to someone, I would just turn off the computer and pet my cats. I don't need to talk to people that bad.

I sometimes get the thought that maybe I might be able to pick up some Spanish or Romanian if I ask the model to talk to me in their native language. I do that and they always say they will do it but it never happens. Just English. I've learned to stop asking for those kinds of conversations.

This has little to do with the topic at hand, but, still...:(

I sometimes get the thought that maybe I might be able to pick up some Spanish or Romanian if I ask the model to talk to me in their native language. I do that and they always say they will do it but it never happens. Just English. I've learned to stop asking for those kinds of conversations.

This has little to do with the topic at hand, but, still...:(

You have to be careful on that. If the model is working from a studio, often she is not allowed to use any language other than English. I don't completely understand the reasons, but I suspect that the studio does not want these models developing friendships. They want them working like dumb robots, unable to communicate with anyone, and they want the only real interface to be about tipping to get naked.

I have had models tell me they can only speak English (without giving any details why), and if I just try in their language they allow that and try to respond as best they can in English. Occasionally, you find the model who will accept your attempt to speak their language and then come back at some point in their native language. You have to make them feel comfortable, but maybe they are at risk with their studio for doing that?

Never mind that tough stuff! This is the way to go.

Just get your flags. Two sets here, one for yourself and one for the model.

Some intensive mutual signal learning maybe. Then it's open my cam, c2c bb and away you go. No worries about filtered lines ever again.

:nod:

In your case the model might first come at you with some sign language complimenting your profile photo:

hqdefault.jpg

Reactions: TokenGesture
If the model is working from a studio, often she is not allowed to use any language other than English.
Probably a good reason why you should try to communicate with (and why MFC prefers to promote using) English in any room you encounter.

This is a US based site. The terms are communicated in English. Any attempt at communication outside of the English language is done at your own expense or inconvenience.

I have had models tell me they can only speak English

Yeah, I am sorry, I wasn't clear. I was trying to get models to talk to me in the social media aspect with their native tongue (viber and snapchat). That way I can process what has been said (you know, look it up, and respond in kind, and hopefully learn something).

I have been in one room where a member seems to pm the model (or something) and the model starts speaking in Ukrainian and I listen for a bit but just feel kind of left out even though this guy was totally amazing with a conversation not in chat and making her feel awesome.

Sorry again for not explaining fully.

Reactions: Smores
Yeah, I am sorry, I wasn't clear. I was trying to get models to talk to me in the social media aspect with their native tongue (viber and snapchat). That way I can process what has been said (you know, look it up, and respond in kind, and hopefully learn something).

I have been in one room where a member seems to pm the model (or something) and the model starts speaking in Ukrainian and I listen for a bit but just feel kind of left out even though this guy was totally amazing with a conversation not in chat and making her feel awesome.

The real-time translation in Google Translate and similar apps really doesn't handle this case either. I always feel bad when I send a question in a foreign language and the model speaks back the reply to me. I can't understand a word and the apps on phones just cannot keep up with a verbal reply.

Sorry again for not explaining fully.

I was glad to get your reply don't apologize.

I'm going to try and hit his from a different angle.

Have you considered using different camsites? If you don't like the lack of support from MFC, maybe try somewhere other than MFC?

I love the support from MFC, and I said that in this thread. If we are talking support in general, MFC responds quickly and takes bugs seriously.

I'm only confused about the specific issue in this thread. I'm mystified why they don't just state their position clearly. If they don't want any language that is not English, why not state that in the documentation? If they forgot to put that in the documentation, why not respond to e-mail and say that?

At this point, I understand everyone's position here. The same points have been made many times, and I understand where people are coming from.

I'm mystified why they don't just state their position clearly on this one issue.
There are plenty of issues that they don't clearly state a position on. Are dogs or cats better? Does pineapple belong on pizza? My guess as to why they haven't addressed these issues or yours... Because it is irrelevant. It is a US-based site, the default/expected language is English, they haven't coded with consideration to anything else. Why are you trying to read into this more than is necessary? Why do you think there's anything more to it than that?

There are plenty of issues that they don't clearly state a position on. Are dogs or cats better? Does pineapple belong on pizza? My guess as to why they haven't addressed these issues or yours... Because it is irrelevant. It is a US-based site, the default/expected language is English, they haven't coded with consideration to anything else. Why are you trying to read into this more than is necessary? Why do you think there's anything more to it than that?

Fine. So then the response from support should be "We coded our site for English, and we provide no support for any other language. Other languages might work. Other languages might not work." Why would that be so hard for them to do?

MFC support is excellent. They have always responded to me quickly, and usually the responses are thoughtful and pretty relevant. The fact that they ignore this question tells me that your line of thinking is not quite accurate. They are purposefully not wanting to discuss the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.