AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Anyone Notice MFC Private Message Windows Filter Some Lines?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 27, 2017
Does anyone have written documentation on what lines are made invisible to the receiver when you type them into a private message (PM) window on MFC? I like to chat Russian models in Russian, and 95% of the time if I construct a sentence in the Cyrillic alphabet using online language translators those lines go through and are seen by the model. Today I had a weird experience where I brought up a complete Cyrillic sentence using the MFC Archive feature and then pasted that into the private message window. It become *invisible* to the model, but I could see it. I went to another model's room, and she reported the same strange result. I then tried to break that paragraph into five separate lines in the PM window, and now the lines became visible to the model! So something about the complete paragraph being posted rendered it invisible. When I broke that into smaller pieces it went through. Keep in mind that I grabbed this sentence from my archives. It was a line that was sent to me by yet another model, and I saw that original PM transmission with no problems. So how bizarre that the line worked when it was originally sent to me, yet I turn around and copy and paste it and then it breaks.

When I tried to paste this longer sentence in the public chat window, the system tried to convert it to weird escape sequences. So it was a different version of the same idea. The system was trying to break the sentence and render it invisible to receivers.

I understand that there are other restrictions that result in similar hiding. I guess we cannot post URLs? Maybe certain keywords are blocked? Figuring this all out on your own is really quite frustrating.

In all of this, just getting any kind of error message from the system would tell me what I need to try to rework. But the system is hiding from the sender what it is hiding from the receiver. The system deliberately misleads you by letting the text appear to the sender but rendering it invisible to the receiver. When each side of the conversation more or less knows and trusts the other side, this is not promoting conversation. I am not spamming anyone. I am simply trying to have an ordinary conversation about ordinary things, and it feels like the system is fighting against promoting real communication very very hard.

If anyone actually cares, the sentence in question was about someone who did an all nighter writing a paper for class. There was nothing in that sentence that would have been interpreted by anyone as spam or inappropriate language.

I'm not familiar with the Cryllic alphabet to say for certain the cause. But, I think there are special characters in Cryllic which are similar to special characters used for writing code. Things such as [ ] { } etc.

I thought I read somewhere that the preferred language on MFC is English

Have you checked the wiki?

http://wiki.myfreecams.com/wiki/Main_Page

I'm not familiar with the Cryllic alphabet to say for certain the cause. But, I think there are special characters in Cryllic which are similar to special characters used for writing code. Things such as [ ] { } etc.

It does feel like something like this was going on and it may even be a bug in their filters for such things. However, how do we then understand that I was the successful receiver of the exact same text when it was originally sent? It appears to be not only the characters in the text stream, but its actual length, that somehow triggered this behavior.

I thought I read somewhere that the preferred language on MFC is English

Have you checked the wiki?

http://wiki.myfreecams.com/wiki/Main_Page

I could not find any text in the help file that said what they filter out, nor did I find any prohibition on Cyrillic. But if you know of such a passage please point us to it.

A "preference" is not a requirement? If my choice is to talk to a human being who I want to talk to who does not speak English well, versus making life easier for MFC's spam filters, which am I going to choose? Of course I want to talk to the human being. And MFC should want models and viewers to talk successfully as well. That ultimately means more time on the site. That means more and better relationships get formed. The price of minimizing spam should not be to ruin the experience completely when two people do not speak the same language and want to try to communicate with each other.

It does feel like something like this was going on and it may even be a bug in their filters for such things. However, how do we then understand that I was the successful receiver of the exact same text when it was originally sent? It appears to be not only the characters in the text stream, but its actual length, that somehow triggered this behavior.

I could not find any text in the help file that said what they filter out, nor did I find any prohibition on Cyrillic. But if you know of such a passage please point us to it.

A "preference" is not a requirement? If my choice is to talk to a human being who I want to talk to who does not speak English well, versus making life easier for MFC's spam filters, which am I going to choose? Of course I want to talk to the human being. And MFC should want models and viewers to talk successfully as well. That ultimately means more time on the site. That means more and better relationships get formed. The price of minimizing spam should not be to ruin the experience completely when two people do not speak the same language and want to try to communicate with each other.

Don't know what to tell you, there dude. It's a private site. They can do as they want. Don't take this the wrong way. But, if you don't like it, send an email to tech support and ask them why they don't cater to a very small segment of MFC users and models. If you don't like the answer you get you have two options: 1) Accept what they tell you and deal with it. Or, 2) Leave.

English has become the world's business language.

Don't know what to tell you, there dude. It's a private site. They can do as they want. Don't take this the wrong way. But, if you don't like it, send an email to tech support and ask them why they don't cater to a very small segment of MFC users and models. If you don't like the answer you get you have two options: 1) Accept what they tell you and deal with it. Or, 2) Leave.

English has become the world's business language.

Of course I wrote support. Support at MFC is great usually, but they IGNORE questions of this type. They don't actually want people to know how this filtering works, is what I am guessing. So, how do I learn the feature set, when a) they don't document it; b) they don't respond to support questions?

Nobody is saying that MFC doesn't have a right to design features. My question was about trying to document what the feature is! Don't argue with me about a feature that no one has even defined yet. It doesn't feel like you are even trying to address the underlying question. You are telling me to accept something that is not even defined fully yet. I want to define it, and maybe there is a good workaround.

Depending on the time of day, more than 50% of the models on the site work in Eastern Europe. There are huge numbers of models from Latvia, Russia, Ukraine, Romania, etc. So this is not catering to a very small segment of models. If the site has a hard-coded prohibition against any language that is not English, then can't they just state that? Then we could have a separate thread and discussion about whether that policy is wise. If the site does NOT have a hard-coded prohibition against non-English languages, then what is your actual point in arguing for English? You can use English. No one is telling you to not use English?

Who's arguing? You asked a question, I provided answers based off if my own experience. Take it for face value. Or not. Don't give a fuck one way or the other...

I doubt it's actual filtering, it's most likely lack of support for different encodings. MFC sometimes screw up emotes too when you copy or quote them.
It could even be your own computer, I have had the situation at work that when someone copy/pasted text from a Mac into a webform it came out wrong, while it worked fine on a Linux machine, with the exact same text.

Reactions: ramblin and Smores
I doubt it's actual filtering, it's most likely lack of support for different encodings. MFC sometimes screw up emotes too when you copy or quote them.
It could even be your own computer, I have had the situation at work that when someone copy/pasted text from a Mac into a webform it came out wrong, while it worked fine on a Linux machine, with the exact same text.

Now that is an excellent answer, thank you! So in this case what could be happening is that when MFC archives the message they change the encoding, and that re-encoded cyrillic is incompatible with the type of encoding used in the private message window. Something like that.... Wow, that is messed up.

So the obvious question is why wouldn't their support people be all over that? Why wouldn't they document the encodings or be willing to discuss them?

I don't understand the different encoded forms of cyrillic well, nor do I understand how to redo those encodings quickly. Do you have any thoughts on that?

I guess since support won't help, the only way to really test this is to have a second account on MFC and send PMs to yourself, to see where the break points are?

Wow, sounds like a project.

Depending on the time of day, more than 50% of the models on the site work in Eastern Europe. There are huge numbers of models from Latvia, Russia, Ukraine, Romania, etc. So this is not catering to a very small segment of models. If the site has a hard-coded prohibition against any language that is not English, then can't they just state that? Then we could have a separate thread and discussion about whether that policy is wise. If the site does NOT have a hard-coded prohibition against non-English languages, then what is your actual point in arguing for English? You can use English. No one is telling you to not use English?

MFC and other sites have many of those countries permanently geoblocked as well. There are asian countries that camming is illegal so why would the site support those language encodings either?

Assuming they are actually preventing Cyrillic maybe they have good reasons. However from what you explain in an earlier post it sounds more like a font translation vs encoding translation issue. I would ask how many browsers did you try the site on and get the same results before switching to accusing the site of censoring Cyrillic?

Reactions: SaffronBurke
MFC and other sites have many of those countries permanently geoblocked as well. There are asian countries that camming is illegal so why would the site support those language encodings either?

Assuming they are actually preventing Cyrillic maybe they have good reasons. However from what you explain in an earlier post it sounds more like a font translation vs encoding translation issue. I would ask how many browsers did you try the site on and get the same results before switching to accusing the site of censoring Cyrillic?

I guess the issue is why does the end user need to create a four hour quality assurance experiment, instead of just getting some simple documentation? Why is it unreasonable to just ask the questions I am asking *first*, and maybe someone with similar experience can answer all of this without requiring me to do four hours of work?

Ultimately, I might have to set up a test account, then spend those four hours methodically testing each use case until I have enough facts to correctly deduce the behavior. It's bizarre that the site requires anyone to do that, when the simple alternative is for them to clearly state what it is they want and do not want. If half your broadcasting models speak cyrillic, what possible reason would you have to not want viewers to speak to them in a language they are comfortable reading? Doesn't that promote stronger relationships between viewers and models, and thus doesn't that result in more time spent on MFC and more tips to models?

Regarding geoblocks, are you saying that MFC has geoblocked viewers from *all* Eastern European countries and Russia too?

If half your broadcasting models speak cyrillic, what possible reason would you have to now want viewers to speak to them in a language they are comfortable reading?

Do you know how to say, "I want you to call me daddy and fuck you like you're a 12 year old." in Cyrillic? I don't know what that looks like in Cyrillic and probably neither do most admins of camsites. However it affects that camsites liability anyways. Why deal with people that use other languages to circumvent rules?

Convenience to the customer still is secondary to legal protection of the site itself.

I guess the issue is why does the end user need to create a four hour quality assurance experiment, instead of just getting some simple documentation? Why is it unreasonable to just ask the questions I am asking *first*, and maybe someone with similar experience can answer all of this without requiring me to do four hours of work?

No one, not even MFC, is requiring you to do this. You are doing it of your own accord simply because you choose to do something that a private company does not provide.

If half your broadcasting models speak cyrillic, what possible reason would you have to not want viewers to speak to them in a language they are comfortable reading? Doesn't that promote stronger relationships between viewers and models, and thus doesn't that result in more time spent on MFC and more tips to models?

Cyrillic is not a spoken language. It is written characters used by different languages. My question to you is thus:

How many members are going to take the time to translate their typing into Cyrillic? My guess is, if they do not use it by default, very very few. As I stated previously, English is now the international business language.

Also, there is reference to English being preferred on MFC:

Typing in the chat room
Models are the only ones that are allowed to use their keyboard in their rooms. "Operator" accounts where someone types in place of the model are not allowed, even in cases where the model cannot reach the keyboard or needs help with the English language.

Additionally, this is in the "Terms and Conditions" of the wiki (it is bullet #14 on the page):

1. English language. We have written this Agreement and our associated Website policies in the English language. You are representing your understanding and assent to the English language version of this Agreement as it is published. We are not liable to you or any third party for any costs or expenses incurred in translating this Agreement. In the event that you choose to translate this Agreement, you do so at your own risk, as only the English language version is binding.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Gen
Do you know how to say, "I want you to call me daddy and fuck you like you're a 12 year old." in Cyrillic? I don't know what that looks like in Cyrillic and probably neither do most admins of camsites. However it affects that camsites liability anyways. Why deal with people that use other languages to circumvent rules?

Convenience to the customer still is secondary to legal protection of the site itself.

That's a valid point, but if that is their motivation then it is unbelievably sad that 1% of the users create a situation that destroys the enjoyment of 99% of the users who do not create liability for the site.

Cyrillic is not a spoken language. It is written characters used by different languages. My question to you is thus:

How many members are going to take the time to translate their typing into Cyrillic? My guess is, if they do not use it by default, very very few. As I stated previously, English is now the international business language.

Use Google Translate or any online tool to go from English to Russian. The online tool outputs to Cyrillic. I am not taking time to fiddle with character sets. I am translating from one language to another in the most straightforward way using the tools that everyone uses.

That is not a statement that English is a preferred language. That is a statement that lack of knowledge of English is not an excuse for violating the operator account policy.

That is not a statement that English is a preferred language for chatting. That is a statement that their legal contract is in English. Moreover, their contract specifically does NOT require you to even read English for purposes of the initial contract reading. Rather, they are saying they are not responsible if you cannot read it.

Last edited:
Use Google Translate or any online tool to go from English to Russian. The online tool outputs to Cyrillic. I am not taking time to fiddle with character sets. I am translating from one language to another in the most straightforward way using the tools that everyone uses.

So then, write a plugin for MFC and others that allows for people to use whatever language they want and it automagically detects what is input, as well as outputs to the "preferred" language of the receiver.

Otherwise, you are the only person I am aware of willing to do the translation.

That is not a statement that English is a preferred language. That is a statement that lack of knowledge of English is not an excuse for violating the operator account policy.

That is not a statement that English is a preferred language for chatting. That is a statement that their legal contract is in English. Moreover, their language specifically does NOT require you to even read English. Rather, they are saying they are not responsible if you cannot read it.

Based upon those two, a reasonable person would understand that it is implied that English is the default, and preferred, language.

As I said before, you are trying to tell aprivate business how to do things. If they choose not to listen, and continue on as they are, you have but a couple of choices.

So then, write a plugin for MFC and others that allows for people to use whatever language they want and it automagically detects what is input, as well as outputs to the "preferred" language of the receiver.

Otherwise, you are the only person I am aware of willing to do the translation.

In some rooms I have chatted, there a five or more guys all typing to the model in public chat in Russian, for the simple reason that they know she cannot read English. You aren't looking very hard if you think my wanting to talk to a model in her native language is unique.

Based upon those two, a reasonable person would understand that it is implied that English is the default, and preferred, language.

No one would understand that. It is not even remotely implied.

In some rooms I have chatted, there a five or more guys all typing to the model in public chat in Russian, for the simple reason that they know she cannot read English. You aren't looking very hard if you think my wanting to talk to a model in her native language is unique.

Perhaps that is their native language? There have been numerous times I've been in a room where they come in and someone attempts to type in what I would assume is cyrillic and funky characters stream across the chat.

I didn't say you were unique in wanting to talk to her in her native language. I said you were the only person I know who was willing to do the translations. Comprehend?

No one would understand that. It is not even remotely implied.

I said reasonable person. Perhaps you will miss this implication as well?

Perhaps that is their native language? There have been numerous times I've been in a room where they come in and someone attempts to type in what I would assume is cyrillic and funky characters stream across the chat.

I know for a fact that these are guys exactly like me because they come into the chat talking in English, are then told that they need to use Google Translate by others in chat, and then they proceed to type in really bad Russian after acknowledging the instruction. :)

I didn't say you were unique in wanting to talk to her in her native language. I said you were the only person I know who was willing to do the translations. Comprehend?

Except you are wrong. Comprehend?

I said reasonable person. Perhaps you will miss this implication as well?

Your making two bad arguments does not make one good argument. Your making two bad arguments does not make one reasonable argument.

I know for a fact that these are guys exactly like me because they come into the chat talking in English, are then told that they need to use Google Translate by others in chat, and then they proceed to type in really bad Russian after acknowledging the instruction. :)

Okay...

Except you are wrong. Comprehend?

I'm wrong for saying you're the only person I'm aware of willing to do the translation. Cook, thanks for telling me what I think.

Your making two bad arguments does not make one good argument. Your making two bad arguments does not make one reasonable argument.

Two bad arguments? lol You really are unreasonable and your comprehension sucks.

I'm done...

You can never please everybody all the time. With a site that's as big and busy as MFC, I can understand why a really small request/inquiry would go ignored in the grand scheme of things. There are much grander issues they're likely to focus their attentions on. Imagine the thousands of messages they get daily... no, hourly... about small inconveniences that just have to go on a back burner because they would only help a tiny fraction of the whole user base.

The back and forth between you two (@Smores and @ForceTen) is not going to go anywhere. Probably best to move along to other more light hearted topics.

Since MFC never stated that they do not support cyrillic, why would you assume that they do not?
In IT if something is not specifically mentioned as being supported it is not supported. Nobody lists all the things they do not support.
Internationalisition is one of the trickier things in IT.
This concludes my free tech support for the day.

Of course I wrote support. Support at MFC is great usually, but they IGNORE questions of this type. They don't actually want people to know how this filtering works, is what I am guessing. So, how do I learn the feature set, when a) they don't document it; b) they don't respond to support questions?

Nobody is saying that MFC doesn't have a right to design features. My question was about trying to document what the feature is! Don't argue with me about a feature that no one has even defined yet. It doesn't feel like you are even trying to address the underlying question. You are telling me to accept something that is not even defined fully yet. I want to define it, and maybe there is a good workaround.

Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Fuck, people type to me in Spanish, French, and German all the time, despite a lack of implication anywhere that I can communicate with them.

Fuck, people type to me in Spanish, French, and German all the time, despite a lack of implication anywhere that I can communicate with them.

My first question in private message to every foreign model I view for the first time is to ask what is her native language, and then I follow that up with asking her if I can try to talk in that language to her. Most of the time this is welcome, and honestly it is just incredibly fun for me to learn how to use translation tools to converse in virtually any language for which there are extremely high quality translation tools available.

To me this is just being a gentleman and determining what the lady likes for conversation. I don't believe that I have any unique gifts or insights on this, and I think it is more commonly done than people appreciate.

So you just use translation services to talk to any model whose first language isn't english?

Aren't a lot of translation services not perfect? Theoretically you could translate something and it come out totally wrong "lost in translation" if you will haha id be careful with that lol

Status
Not open for further replies.